Why Regent University?

Regent University offered a unique perspective in undergraduate studies. Christ-centered leadership and biblically centered classes develop students professionally and personally. The campus is beautiful, and I soon found that my professors and my fellow students exuded enthusiasm and dedication to the Lord and their educational pursuits. Classmates prayed with me and for me; studying became a group effort towards excellence and not just another homework assignment.

Why Online Learning?

I was 21 when I started the online learning program at Regent University. I had the opportunity to dual-enroll in a local college while in high school, so my associates degree was partially complete when I graduated in 2002. I hit the ground running by working full time after graduating from high school, attending night classes to finish my associates degree. I guess I got used to the schedule, and when it came time to find a university to transfer to, I knew I'd want a flexible format that would allow me to continue in my professional endeavors.

Why A Business Degree?

My degree is in Organizational Leadership and Management. I chose this concentration because of the unique mix of business strategy and leadership development. In choosing a degree program I wanted one that would emphasize the "people" part of organizations and their strategic development. Some degree programs focus primarily on the financial and strategic side of business development, but Regent stressed the importance of the organization's people and the effectiveness of biblical leadership.

Business Degree

Jeff

I have to say, my little brother Jeff is one of the funniest people I know. We went out tonight for ice cream, a trip to Lowes, and a trip to Target to return something. How funny are these quips?

Scene:
I'm reading Domino magazine when Jeff walks in.

"Hey Chels, I'm going to run to Lowes because I need some wood screws." (Jeff)
"Um, ok, well I need to go to Target, sooo..." (me)
"Hey, that's like one trip!" (Aghast!)
"Yep. Lemme change and we'll go together."
"Wait, are you going to, um, 'look' at Target? Because if you're going to shop, I don't want this to take, like, all night. I have things to do, you know."
"No, no.... (assuredly) I don't need anything....
...I just want to return that closet thing that I bought that broke.... I'll just run in and return it and we'll go get your stuff from Lowes...." (I leave the room, continuing to assure Jeff that the items is ready to go, I have the receipt, and I'll just 'run in...', I don't need anything at all, etc, etc...)
"Ok."
8 seconds later...
"Ok, Chels... so, how long are you going to 'look' ?"
______________________________________
The simple fact that we were going to Lowes to buy screws brought some challenges, and prevented Jeff from asking assistance from, well, pretty much any Lowes employee. I mean, how DO you word a question like that and not embarrass anyone...?
______________________________________

Scene:
Jeff and Chelsea are leaving the Cold Stone Creamery shop, disappointed that shop wouldn't take our Buy One Get One coupon, and not feeling prepared to drop $10.00 on two cones. A really cute, preppy, ponytailed blonde is going in while we are leaving. She holds the door for us, but Jeff had already started to hold the door for me. So the three of us are kind of suspended there, her gazing up at Jeff, seeing her children in his eyes, me rolling my eyes, and everyone present holding the door for each other, until we all have that moment when we laugh nervously and start apologizing and moving away from the situation. ("Sorry, haha, sorry, haha....."

Jeff, quietly and to himself: "That is so awkward."
Me, overhearing him: "Yeah! It's kind of like that awkwardness when you hug and say goodbye to someone, and then they continue walking the same way as you are. Like, your car and their car are parked right next to each other, or there's only one exit, and you realize it and it's awkward."
Jeff, "Yeah, kind of like that."
__________________________________________
We have a good laugh over this and walk over to Publix, where we bought Buy One Get One Edy's Ice Cream half-gallons. This event made us happy because we each got our own flavor, since one was free, which was pretty much what we were going to do at Cold Stone. Except Publix was out of Toll House cookie dough ice cream! Tragedy!
So we brought the vanilla and chocolate-brownie tubs home and mushed our own cookie dough in. (Only Jeff would keep a tub of mixed cookie dough in the fridge.)

Yum! My dough-to-ice-cream ratio was off, but Jeff's looked, well, perfect.
Jeff: "Chels, you should mush more often."
Me: "Um, no, Jeff, I don't think I need to mush more. Thanks, though."
_______________________________________
Earlier, I'm getting home from work. I stopped at Chik-Fil-A because I was starving. I worked through lunch, again, and only had toast today. (I've lost so much weight this week, anyways, my jeans don't fit, so I figured a chicken sandwich wouldn't kill me)

Me, eating my sandwich: "Jeff, I'm sorry.... I've been so used to living alone, I only brought one sandwich, and I didn't know you were going to be home, and so I didn't call to see if you wanted anything, I feel so inconsiderate, blah, blah...."
Jeff: "That's alright. I just came from Burger King, and didn't even think about asking if you wanted anything."
Me: "Sorry, man."
Jeff: "Yah, sorry too."

Nothing gained, nothing lost :)

0 comments: